HomeEuropean FootballTurkish Super Cup descends into chaos as Fenerbahce walk off in protest

Turkish Super Cup descends into chaos as Fenerbahce walk off in protest

-

Sunday’s Turkish Super Cup was abandoned after one minute of play as Fenerbahce walked off in protest at alleged unfair treatment, handing rivals Galatasaray the trophy.

Having seen a plea to postpone the game rejected, Fenerbahce – who face Olympiakos in the Europa League quarter-finals on Thursday – fielded an under-19 side for Sunday’s game.

Mauro Icardi gave Galatasaray the lead in the opening minute, with Fenerbahce’s young players then walking off and causing the game to be abandoned.

Read our other football news stories here:
PGMOL must ‘uphold integrity’ after latest Wolves VAR controversy – Shi
Tottenham 3-1 Forest: Spurs go fourth with Van de Ven and Porro goals
Sheffield United 2-2 Chelsea: McBurnie hits stoppage-time leveller

Turkish Super Lig holders Galatasaray then celebrated winning the trophy, while Fenerbahce pledged to “stand tall” and “defend the truth” in a statement.

The Turkish Cup holders said: “When we take to the field not to win but to defend the truth, we want to summarise our attitude as this: Serving Turkish sports with its 117-year history not only in football but in every branch we compete in, and feeling the national values ​​of this country with its 30 million fans.

“We will continue to stand tall today and tomorrow, as we did yesterday.”

Fenerbahce have long railed against perceived unfair treatment from the Turkish Football Federation.

Citing unfavourable decisions from Turkish referees, the club asked for foreign officials to be brought in for Sunday’s match, also requesting it be moved forward to give them additional time to prepare for Thursday’s trip to Greece. Both requests were denied.

Last week, Fenerbahce members voted against a proposal to withdraw from the Super Lig, which came after Trabzonspor fans stormed the pitch to attack their players after a 3-2 win for the 19-time champions last month.

Chairman Ali Koc has suggested another vote on the issue could be held at the end of the season, with the club also angered by players Can Egribayat and Jayden Quinn Oosterwolde receiving one-match bans for clashing with supporters at the end of the Trabzonspor game.

Harry Carr
Harry Carr
Harry is a freelance sports journalist with experience of working for the Racing Post, Stats Perform, Opta Analyst and more, covering major events across all sports but holding a particular love for the beautiful game.

LATEST POSTS

Sacked West Ham coaches ‘didn’t have a clue’ about ‘shocking’ exit – Nolan

David Moyes' coaching staff discovered "out of the blue" about their West Ham departures a day after the season ended, Kevin Nolan has said. Former Hammers...

Cristiano Ronaldo: Euro 2024 selection puts Portugal captain on brink of new football records

Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo is poised to set more records after the European Championship golden boot holder was selected by Portugal for Uefa Euro 2024. The...

Jose Mourinho ‘starts talks with Besiktas’ as Turkish giants target ex-Roma manager

Jose Mourinho has asked for talks with Besiktas after the Turkish giants made an approach which met his financial demands, the club's vice-president has said. Two-time...

Ten Hag says football is ‘all about trophies’ as Manchester United prepare for FA Cup final

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag said football is "all about trophies" after his side rounded off their Premier League campaign with a win. The Red...

Most Popular